If you own a boat, it might be time to upgrade to new more comfortable boat seats. If you’ve owned your boat for a long time, it might be time to buy a new boat seat to replace an old or torn seat. You aren’t stuck with the seats your boat came with.
We reviewed dozens of boat seats to determine which ones were the best of the best. We looked at boat seats with marine grade vinyl, UV treated, and weatherproofed upholstery. We examined seats at different price points and functionality to find the best ones.
For an affordable and versatile boat seat, choose the Wise Economy Low Back Seat.
The Wise Economy Low Back Seat stood out as the clear winner for boat seats. It is an affordable boat seat with 12 different color options that fit well with any boat color scheme. Its low back doesn’t obstruct your view of the water.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Boat Seats
|Top Pick||Wise Economy Low Back Seat||4.1|
|Runner Up Pick||Tempress NaviStyle High Back Seat||4.3|
|Best Budget Pick||Leader Accessories New Plastic Shell Folding Boat Seat||4.3|
|Best Captain's Chair||Leader Accessories Two Tone Captain's Bucket Seat Premium Sports Flip Up Boat Seat||4.5|
|Best Fishing Boat Seat Pick||Wise 8WD139 Series Molded Fishing Boat Seat with Marine Grade Cushion Pads||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Wise Economy Low Back Seat
The Wise Economy Low Back Seat is the best boat seat for most boat owners. It’s an extremely affordable boat seat costing around $45. If you ever need to purchase a temporary boat seat after one becomes damaged, this is an easy choice to make.
Its low back is perfect to fish from, with comfortable compression foam padding that’s easy to spend many hours sitting on. The marine-grade embossed vinyl is UV treated to prevent sun damage and fading, as well as mildew treated to prevent mildew. Its available in 12 colors, including grey, red, sand, and navy.
Wise Economy Low Back Seat Key Features:
- Available in 12 different colors
- Marine-grade vinyl
- Comfortable compression foam padding
- Includes mounting hardware
If you’d prefer a high back seat, the Tempress NaviStyle High Back Seat is an excellent choice. It’s a very comfortable seat, with lumbar support, comfort style panels, and an ergonomic design. Its high impact plastic frame and marine grade vinyl keep the boat seat looking new for many years to come.
This boat seat fits your standard swivel mount and comes with the necessary hardware. It is available in 9 different color combinations: Blue/Gray, Break Up, Charcoal/Gray, Gray, Red/Gray, Shadowgrass, Tan/Sand, White, and White/Blue. This boat seat feels like an upgrade because of its design and no-pinch hinges.
Tempress NaviStyle High Back Seat Key Features:
- Ergonomic design
- Lubar support from a curved backrest
- Stain-resistant marine-grade vinyl
- Available in 9 colors
Best Budget Pick: Leader Accessories New Plastic Shell Folding Boat Seat
If the price is your deciding factor, go with the Leader Accessories New Plastic Shell Folding Boat Seat. At only $25, depending on which color combination you choose, it’s difficult to find any quality boat seat at a better price. It uses the 5 inch by 5-inch mounting bolt pattern likely already used on your existing boat seat.
It’s available in 12 different styles and colors: Acorn Brown, Black/Red, Camo/Brown, Camo/Green, Camo/Tan, Gray, Gray/Blue, Gray/Charcoal, Gray/Red, White/Blue, White/Gray, and White/Red. Depending on which style you choose, the price varies. The least expensive options just include the heavy-duty molded plastic shell, where for around $15 more, you can choose a model with compression foam padding and more color options.
Leader Accessories New Plastic Shell Folding Boat Seat Key Features:
- Compression foam padding available on some styles
- 12 style and color choices
- Heavy-duty molded plastic shell
- Uses standard 5-inch by 5-inch mounting pattern
Best Captain’s Chair: Leader Accessories Two-Tone Captain’s Bucket Seat Premium Sports Flip Up Boat Seat
For a real upgrade, the Leader Accessories Two Tone Captain’s Bucket Seat Premium Sports Flip Up Boat Seat transforms your boat into a high-end, comfortable oasis at a fraction of the cost of other captain’s chairs. Its available in 7 white and color variations that include charcoal, black, blue, and red. You can also choose if the piping around the vinyl is to be white or the color variety.
This boat seat is made to last with its high-end marine grade vinyl that’s been treated for mildew resistant and UV protection. It has stainless steel fasteners over less durable plastic. It works with both standard bolt patterns: 5″ by 5″ or 5″ by 12″.
Leader Accessories Two-Tone Captain’s Bucket Seat Premium Sports Flip Up Boat Seat Key Features:
- High-end marine grade vinyl
- High-density foam padding for optimal support
- Compatible with 5-inch x 5-inch or 5-inch x 12-inch bolt patterns
- Ergonomic design
Best Fishing Boat Seat Pick: Wise 8WD139 Series Molded Fishing Boat Seat with Marine Grade Cushion Pads
If you need a new seat for your fishing boat, the Wise 8WD139 Series Molded Fishing Boat Seat with Marine Grade Cushion Pads is a boat seat to consider. It’s made of 28 oz. marine grade vinyl that’s been treated for UV and mildew protection. It can mount to any standard BIA 4 bolt pedestal system found on most fishing boats.
Its available in 12 different style options in hues that match the colors used on fishing boats. The colors will match or complement existing boat seats in the event you only want to replace one. Additionally, the comfortable marine-grade cushion pads make it easier to stay seated for long periods of time.
Wise 8WD139 Series Molded Fishing Boat Seat with Marine Grade Cushion Pads Key Features:
- 12 style options
- Comfortable marine grade cushion pads
- 28 oz. marine-grade UV and mildew treated vinyl
- Fits on any standard BIA 4 bolt pedestal system
Who Should Buy a Boat Seat
Boat owners should buy a boat seat when they need to replace an existing seat on their boat. Over time, the seats that came with your boat may tear or become otherwise damaged. Replacing the boat seat is an easy way to make your boat look new again.
Even if your boat seats are not damaged, you may want to upgrade to a better, more comfortable seats. The seats that come standard on many boats are not comfortable. You can upgrade to have a more ergonomic, weatherproof, or cushioned design.
Important Features to Consider
A boat seat should have several important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a boat seat:
- UV treated seats. Most boat seats spend a lot of time in the sun, which can damage them over time with UV radiation. UV-treated boat seats are UV-resistant, which reduces that amount of damage that they take in the sun and extends their lifespan. It also helps keep boat seats in good condition as UV damage can often appear as fading or a burnt feeling exterior that is uncomfortable to sit on.
- Color options. Boat seats come in a wide range of color options. The finish for the seats is dependent on the materials that they are made of, but many seats come in deep, bright, pastel, natural, or camo finishes.
- Injection molded plastic frame. Rather than using a heavy metal frame, many seats use an injection molded plastic frame. The plastic is heated to a melting temperature and injected into a fame mold. This process creates a single-piece frame that does not require welding or any other bonding method, which makes it stronger and more durable. The use of plastic also makes the seat much lighter.
- Mildew-resistant. Boat seats are often exposed to highly-humid areas. If not entirely dried, similar items can begin to mildew over time leaving a bad smell and ruining the seat’s finish. Seats that are mildew-resistant prevent the growth of mildew over time. While they are not completely impervious to mildew, they do last longer since mildew grows at a much slower rate if not properly dried every time the seat is used.
- Seat dimensions. Boat seats have specific dimensions so that they fit where they are needed. Most boat seats are measured by their width, height, and depth. All seats are also measured by the type and size of the mounting system that is needed. Most seats fit the standard 5 x 5-inch and 5 x 12-inch mounting systems.
- Marine grade vinyl. Vinyl is generally water-resistant and weather-resistant. Marine-grade vinyl has a much higher degree of resistance and is at the right level for consistent exposure to humidity. Lower-grade vinyl begins to deteriorate faster when exposed to humidity.
- Recline. Some boat seat models are able to recline slightly. This makes them more comfortable as you’ll be able to sit in a more relaxed position.
- Lumbar support. Your lower back often needs extra support in order to be comfortable and help you sit up straight. Boat seats with lumbar support have ergonomic cushioning for your lower back, which often makes them more comfortable over longer periods.
- Armrests. Depending on the type of boat seat, some seats come with built-in armrests. For cruising, armrests often make the seats more comfortable as there is added support for your arms.
- Cushion materials. There are several materials that can be used for cushioning. The most popular material is highly-compressed foam, which has a high density without being completely rigid. That way, it is supportive while being a bit flexible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a captain’s chair?
According to Merriam Webster, a captain’s chair is an armchair with a saddle seat and a low curved back. Compared to the boat seats that come standard with most boats, captain’s chairs are more supportive and comfortable. In many cases, captain’s chairs are more ergonomic and comfortable.
How do you mount a boat seat?
Mounting a boat seat will vary depending on the specific model you choose. However, generally, boat seats are installed by turning the boat seat upside down and attaching the bolts to the mounting plate, setting the seat on the pedestal, and screw the bolts through the mounting plate. For more detailed instructions, wikiHow provides step by step instructions on how to mount a boat seat with and without an existing pedestal.
How do you clean boat seats?
Cleaning your boat seats will depend on what material the seats are made from. Common materials are hard plastic and marine grade vinyl. For hard plastic boat seats, you can use a diluted bleach solution or a marine cleaner. For vinyl seats, only use mild soaps, such as dish soap, or specially formulated vinyl cleaner, such as 303 Cleaners and Protectants.
Can you repair boat seat vinyl?
Yes, although you may decide it’s not worth the cost. To repair boat seat vinyl, you will need to purchase a vinyl repair kit. You would clean the area, apply a repair sheet over the damage, and cover the seat. Depending on the color of the vinyl you’re trying to match and the size of the damage, kits range from $4 to $40. Some of the new boat seats we evaluated cost less than this.
If your vinyl boat seats are ripped or holed, the elements can damage the internal structure of your seat. It’s possible that moisture entered the cushion before it was repaired. You will need to evaluate the condition of the seat and the cost of the repair. In many cases, replacement might be a more effective solution.
Other Boat Seats We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other boat seats. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best boat seats list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
The captain’s chair makes a big difference in your boat cruising enjoyment. This Leader Accessories Pontoon Captains Bucket Boat Seat comes in six color options with colored piping highlights. It has a high-impact injection molded frame for extra strong support. It also uses the standardized 5 by 5 and 5 by 12-inch mounting bolt patterns with the mounting hardware included.
- Standard mounting patterns and hardware
- Injection molded high-impact frame
- Multiple piping and seat color options
- Extra thick padding for support
This Leader Accessories White Captain’s Seat Boat Seat With Arm Rest comes with matching armrests for added comfort over long trips. The seat is a comfortable 24-inches wide and has thick padding for extra comfort. All of the seat surfaces are covered in marine-grade vinyl that is waterproof and weatherproof. You can also mount it using the two standard mounting patterns.
- Raised back support
- Marine-grade vinyl
- Standard mounting patterns
For a more relaxed sitting position, try this Seamander S1040 series Premier Pontoon Furniture Bucket Seat. It uses a high-density plastic frame that offers some flexibility and more support while keeping a lower weight. It is filled with highly compressed OEM-grade foam in a bucket seat design for a supportive and relaxed feel.
- Bucket seat design
- Standard mounting bolt patterns
- High-density plastic frame
- High-compression OEM-grade foam padding
For added comfort, Seamander S1043 Series Premium Bucket Seat, Sport Flip Up Seat, Captain Seat. It comes with leg support for added comfort, and it can be folded if you prefer a standing position. It uses high-density plastic and foam padding for added comfort and support. The design also has added open spaces for breathability
- High-density plastic frame
- High-quality padding
- Collapsable bolster
- Waterproof vinyl cover
The Seamander S1045 Series Premium Bucket Seat, Sport Flip Up Seat, Captain Seat provides the same level of support and quality that the other Seamander seats do, but with an added level of support. It has a solid body design with a long, rounded back support. Extended and sculpted wings offer arm and side support while a high back design offers back and neck support.
- Collapsable bolster
- Standard bolt mounting patterns
- High back design
- Single-body curved design
Fishing Boat Seats
If you need a seat designed for fishing boats, the New Standard Stripe High Back Folding Fishing Boat Seat 4 color is a good option. They have a straight back design with rigid supports so that you can maintain leverage over your rod easily. The seat is collapsible with anodized aluminum hinges that are weather resistant and maintain their strength over the long run. This seat uses the standard 5-inch by 5-inch mounting bolt pattern.
- Folding design
- Multiple color options
- Single and double packs available
- Treated for UV and mildew resistance
The Seamander Fishing/Hunting Low Back Fold-Down Boat Seats is designed to fit in with a customized fishing boat. You can get them in a two-pack with a camo or racing design. These seats are made out of a highly-durable marine-grade fabric. It can also be mounted on a swivel pedestal. The mounting brackets are included.
- Two-pack available
- Camo and racing designs
- Marine-grade heavy-duty fabrics
- Pedestal mount with included fasteners
The Wise 8WD588PLS Series Standard High Back Fishing Boat Seat adds a level of quality with an embossed logo finish. It has a high-back design for added support. Combined with no-pinch hinges and high-quality marine-grade materials, this seat will last a long time and make your fishing trips more comfortable.
- High-back design
- Injection molded plastic frame
- No-pinch hinges
- Embossed vinyl
Folding Boat Seats
The Leader Accessories Back Folding Boat Seat gives you a lot of flexibility in the look of your boat seats. It is available in 17 color and design patterns. Every design uses the same high-impact frame and compressed foam padding for durability and comfort. At 16-inches wide, this seat doesn’t take up too much space.
- 17 color and design options available
- COmpressed foam padding
- High-impact plastic frame components
- 16-inch wide seat
This Leader Accessories Deluxe All Weather Folding Boat Seat is designed for all weather conditions. It is covered in weatherproof and UV treated vinyl so that it will last a long time. It also has stainless steel rivets and a plastic form for added stability and durability. You can get it in a blue and white finish or a camo finish.
- Folding design
- Stainless steel rivets
- UV treated vinyl
This Leader Accessories New Low Back Folding Boat Seat is designed with a low profile so that it contours your lower back. It is available in a wide range of color options and is designed for extended outdoor use. All of the components are treated and designed to be weatherproof including the UV-treated vinyl and the anodized aluminum hinges.
- Low-back design
- UV-treated vinyl cover
- Anodized aluminum hinges
- Fits standard mounting brackets
The Low Back Foldable Padded Boat Seat with No-Pinch Hinges and Extra Thick Padding is designed for comfort. The seat has a high-density polymer shell that protects it from the weather. Combined with the condensed padding, the seat has an ergonomic design which makes it more comfortable for your lower back.
- Mildew-resistant vinyl
- Ergonomic design
- Easy installation
- High-density polymer shell
This MSC Folding Boat Seat with Seat Swivel 360-degree Rotation seat is designed to turn all the way around giving you the flexibility to reach any side of the boat. For fishing, it is more useful since you don’t have to face the boat in the direction that you want to go. There is a 6.3-inch by 6.3-inch swivel base included for easy mounting.
- Swivel base included
- Three color options available
- 16-inch wide seat
- Weatherproof vinyl
The Wise Clam Shell Style Folding Boat Seat uses the latest in designs to improve its support and comfort. It uses a plastic frame engineered with the most recent technological advances. The result is a lightweight but stable and durable plastic seat. It has a snap-on cushion that makes it easy to clean and remove when not in use. It is also covered in weather-resistant vinyl to make sure that it lasts a long time.
- High-tech plastic frame
- Snap-on cushion
- Wide seat
- Weather-resistant vinyl
If you are into camo designs, the Wise Super Value Folding Boat Seat is a good option. It uses 500-denier Realtree Max 5 Cordura fabric to create a durable high-quality camo design with matching black aluminum hinges. It is designed for durability but also comes with 5-year frame warranty and a 1-year upholstery warranty.
- Camo options
- 500-denier Realtree Max 5 Cordura fabric
- 5-year warranty
- Aluminum hinges
This Wise Torsa Sport Folding Boat Seat is a good option if you want something that looks different from other options. It has several color designs that use bright and modern color designs to stand out. It features that same high-grade vinyl with weather-resistant features as other leading brands. The vinyl also has a range of textures for a different look and feel as well.
- Unusual color options
- Mixed textures
- Wide and tall design
High Back Boat Seats
The Tempress All Weather High Back Seat can withstand most weather conditions for prolonged use. It is waterproof, sun-resistant, and mildew-resistant for extended outdoor use without wear. You can get it in several bright and dark color options including camo. It also has an ergonomic design with a high back support and lumbar support.
- Works with Quick Disconnect mounts
- Several color options
- Ergonomic design
- High-back design
The Tempress Elite High Back Helm Seat is designed for exceptional comfort and durability. It is made entirely from marine weatherproof materials. It has an ergonomic high-back design with an extra wide 23-inch seat and built-in armrests. There is also a handle on the back that makes mounting and unmounting quick and easy.
- Marine weatherproof materials
- Lumbar support
- Extra wide seat
- Built-in armrests
For extended fishing trips, try the Wise 8WD1461 Blast-Off Tour Series Folding High Back Boat Seat. It uses highly compressed foam padding to give it extra support. Combined with a tall back design, it is more supportive for your back and legs. It is treated for UV exposure, as well as mildew to prevent damage over time. Plus, the thick and durable vinyl cover keeps the seat looking like new for a long time. This seat also comes with a flat, piano-style hinge making it easy to install. The color schemes use a combination of subtle and deep colors to give it a different look than many of the other options.
- Flat piano hinge included
- OEM-grade marine frame system
- Accented color scheme
- Extra padding
A Wise High Back Boat Seat with Logo can be a different option if you are looking for high-back support with flare. It has a unique design including a range of color schemes that stand out. It also uses a combination of an injection-molded frame and thick padding to provide solid support for long trips. The vinyl cover is highly durable and can resist many of the elements while maintaining its level of support. OEM-grade no-pinch hinges make it easy and safer to fold and move the seat when not in use.
- Wise Lund-style seat
- Injection-molded frame
- No-pinch hinges
- Thick foam padding