Sometimes camping can get a little cramped. Cabin tents are a great option if you are planning a trip with a big group or for an extended amount of time. The most defining feature of these tents is their nearly vertical walls and high center height that make them look more ‘cabin’-like than your typical dome tent. Cabin tents offer plenty of space to stretch out, get comfortable, or host a large family.
We reviewed dozens of cabin tents to identify the best of the best. We considered important features including price, space, room dividers, and ease of set-up.
The Core 9 Person Cabin tent was chosen as our top pick because it’s spacious, durable and includes all of the essential features of a large tent.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cabin Tents
|Best Overall||Core 9 Person Cabin Tent||4.6|
|Runner Up – Best Cabin Tent with Screened-in Porch||Coleman WeatherMaster Tent with Screen Room||4.1|
|Best Budget Cabin Tent||Coleman Cabin Tent with Instant Setup||4.2|
|Best Cabin Tent with Multiple Rooms||Core 10 Person Straight Wall Cabin Tent||4.5|
|Best Family Cabin Tent||Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin Tent||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Cabin Tent Overall: Core 9 Person Cabin Tent
If you’re looking for a cabin tent, the Core 9 Person Cabin Tent is a simple choice. This tent is not only spacious, it includes all of the most essential and updated features to keep you comfortable. Big enough for 2 queen mattresses, this tent is perfect for fitting a large group as well as smaller groups who want more room to spread out.
The ventilation and removable rainfly features are what truly make the Core 9 Person Cabin Tent stand out. The advanced venting system draws cool air from adjustable vents on the ground of the tent while also allowing hot air to escape through the mesh ceiling. The removable rainfly gives you complete protection from the elements when needed, but also gives you the option to remove it to enjoy the sky and open air. Other unique features include wall storage pockets, a carry bag, and a large “T”-door for easy access and increased airflow.
CORE 9 Person Cabin Tent Key Features:
- Dimensions: 14′ x 9′ x 78″
- 78″ center height
- 2 rooms with dividers
- 60-second setup
- Electrical cord access port
- H20 Block technology and adjustable ground vent
- Removable rainfly
Best Cabin Tent with a Screened-in Porch: Coleman WeatherMaster Tent
The Coleman WeatherMaster Tent is made to withstand the elements. Large enough to fit 6 people, this cabin tent includes a separate screen room for bug-free lounging. Additional comfort features include a hinged door for easy access to and from the tent, storage pockets for all of your essentials, and an e-port for electrical power.
The WeatherTec system includes welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry in the heavy rainfall, a wind-strong frame, and a weather-resistant zipper cuff for added protection.
Coleman WeatherMaster Tent Key Features:
- 11 x 9′ with 6’8″ center height
- Fits up to 6 people
- Waterproof floors
- Separate screen room (9′ x 6′)
- Includes rainfly and expanded carry bag
Best Budget Cabin Tent: Coleman Cabin Tent with Instant Setup
With the Coleman Cabin Tent with Instant Setup, you’re not sacrificing comfort for the price. While this tent may not have the height as other options, the Coleman Cabin Tent is durable and weatherproof, it also features darkroom technology and 1-minute setup time.
With welded corners, inverted seams, and an integrated rainfly, this tent will keep you safe and dry during the harshest weather conditions. The double-thick fabric prevents holes and bugs from getting in and will ensure you have this tent for the long-run. Darkroom technology is also a stand-out feature of the Coleman Cabin Tent. The ability to block 90% of sunlight allows you to get the sleep you need while lowering temperature build-up.
Coleman Cabin Tent with Instant Setup Key Features:
- Dimensions: 96″ x 84″ x 59″
- 18 lbs
- 150D/150D Polyester/taped seams
- Darkroom technology
- WeatherTech System for rain protection
Best Cabin Tent with Multiple Rooms: Core 10 Person Straight Wall Cabin Tent
Straight walls are the most defining feature of cabin tents. The ability to stand comfortably in your outdoor shelter makes all of the difference. The Core 10 Person Straight Wall Cabin Tent is a perfect example of this, with plenty of space and a center height of 86″, your group will be in no rush to leave camp.
Included in the Core 10 Person Cabin Tent are H20 block technology and adjustable ground vents for rain protection and plenty of airflow. A room divider gives you the option to create two separate spaces with front and backdoor access and a gear loft with a lantern hook and pockets will keep your essentials out of the way and organized until you need them.
Core 10 Person Straight Wall Cabin Tent Key Features:
- Sleeps 10
- Center height: 86″
- Durable 68D Polyester Fabric
- D-Style door
- Electrical cord access port
- Floor size: 14ft x 10ft
- Included: tent, tent poles, rainfly, gear loft, room divider, tent stakes, expandable carry bag
Best Family Cabin Tent: Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin Tent
Family camping trips can be daunting. From children to parents, everyone’s needs are unique, and sleeping in such close quarters can make for an interesting weekend away. The Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin Tent will give your family the comfort they need to be well-rested and ready for all of the outdoor activities you have planned.
Once you arrive at your destination, the quick setup feature of this cabin tent will have you up and running in a matter of minutes. Fitting up to 9 people, the Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin Tent has plenty of space, and its WeatherTec system will keep your family dry. A bonus feature of this tent is the built-in LED lighting and fan system, including a wall illuminated switch, so there’s no need to search for a headlamp in the middle of the night.
Coleman Prairie Breeze Lighted Cabin Tent Key Features:
- 14′ x 10′ interior
- Fits 9 people
- E-Port to bring electrical power into your tent
- Built-in LED lighting and fan system
- WeatherTec system
- Illuminated wall switch
Who Should Buy a Cabin Tent
Cabin tents are synonymous with comfortable camping. If you are looking for a tent that fits multiple people with enough standing room, a cabin tent is worth considering. These tents are larger and heavier than their standard “dome” tent counterparts so they are not ideal for backpacking or long treks to a campsite.
Cabin tents are a popular option for long camping trips in the outdoors. The space they provide is perfect for lounging or waiting out a storm. If you and your family are looking for a durable tent to camp on the beach, in the mountains, or even in the backyard, a cabin tent could be for you.
These large tents are also ideal for day trips. Many include a mesh rainfly so you can enjoy the outdoor view without baking in the sun or being attacked by mosquitos. Cabin tents also provide shelter from the wind and rain, so you and your group can rest assured knowing you’re prepared for anything.
Important Features to Consider
A cabin tent should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cabin tent:
- Center height. Cabin tents typically have a higher center height than other tents, making standing and moving around in them much easier. If you are looking for a tent with plenty of overhead space you will want to consider how tall the tent is in the center, as well as the height of the walls.
- Floor space. Floor space is essentially how large the tent is. If you are wanting to fit a big group of people, you will want to consider how many beds a cabin tent can fit. It’s also important to note that while some cabin tents say they are “9, 10 person”, they are typically letting you know the max amount of people who can sleep in them. If you want more room to move around, you will probably want to go with one larger than your group size.
- Room dividers. Not all cabin tents have room dividers, but if you want privacy from others, this feature could be important. These dividers are a great way to separate space either from others or to designate one room for lounging and the other for sleeping.
- Weather protection. Most cabin tents have some sort of weather protection. You will want to consider the fabric, flooring, ventilation, and rainfly of each tent you are looking at. There’s nothing worse than getting you and your gear wet while you are stuck in a storm.
- Setup time. How much time are you wanting to spend setting up your tent? If you want something simple, look for a cabin tent that is “instant set-up”. These tents typically only take a minute or two to pop up.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cabin tent?
A cabin tent is a tent that is designed to be more spacious or resembles a “cabin”. These tents typically have a higher center height, larger floor space, and vertical walls. Cabin tents are most often used at campsites or locations where you don’t have to walk a far distance to access. These tents are also most commonly used for larger groups.
How do you set up a cabin tent?
Setting up a cabin tent is much like setting up any type of tent and varies from brand to size. If you are looking for a quick setup, you might want to choose a tent that has an instant pop-up design. These tents are made to pop up quickly and usually only take a minute. Other tents are also fairly straightforward to set up depending on their instructions. You may want to consider having someone help you set up your cabin tent if it is especially large.
Is a cabin tent better than a dome tent?
Both cabin and dome tents serve specific purposes, so one is not better than the other. Choosing which one is for you is entirely up to preference and use case. Are you camping in one place with a large group and want a tent you can move around in? You might want a cabin tent. Are you covering a lot of distance on a backpacking trip? A lightweight dome tent is probably what you need. You can check out our list of the best backpacking tents here.
How much does a cabin tent cost?
The cost of cabin tents can range anywhere from $100 to $500. This is dependent on a variety of factors including size, fabric, room dividers, and weather technology. If you are looking for a basic tent that fits a family of four, you can typically expect to spend around $150. If you are a larger group that wants more center height and space, a good quality tent will be around $250. A tent that costs upwards of $300 will likely be beyond the basic setup and include luxury features.
Other Cabin Tents We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cabin tents. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cabin tents list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your next camping trip. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Family Cabin Tents
- 6 Person Cabin Tents
- Cabin Tents with Multiple Rooms
- Cabin Tents with a Screened-in Porch
Family Cabin Tents
The Camp Creek 4 Cabin Tent is perfect for a family of four. With an instant setup, you can avoid the stress and simply pop up your tent wherever you choose.
- Dimensions: 7’6 x 8’6
- Center Height: 84″
- Fits 4 people
- Easy setup
- Zippered mesh doors, windows, and roof for ultimate ventilation
This tent is affordable and spacious. Sleeping up to 8 people, the Coleman 8 Person Tent has all of the comforts you need including a tall center height, hinged door, and awning.
- 15-minute setup
- Dimensions: 16′ x 7′, center height: 6’2″
- Hinged door with awning
- Weather-proof technology
The Core 11 Person Family Cabin Tent will allow your family to move around and sleep comfortably. With a front screen room and H20 block technology, you can wait out any unwanted weather peacefully. A gear loft provides essential storage and even more space.
- Sleeps 11 people
- Front screen room
- Gear loft
- Core H20 block technology
This basic tent is surprisingly large. Fitting up to 8 people, the Easy Go Products Camping Tent is 7 feet tall and extremely durable.
- Sleeps 6-8 people
- Full enclosure with 4 walls, solid ceiling and PVC floor
- 9’8″ wide and 7′ height
- Pop-up canopy tent not included
The Kazoo Family Camping Tent is simple and effective. The ventilation and large tent porch are what really make this cabin tent stand out. Stay out of the sun while still enjoying the outdoor surroundings with this colorful shelter space.
- Fits 4 people (bigger sizes available)
- Instant setup
- Large tent porch
- Optimized Ventilation with mesh walls and ceiling
6 Person Cabin Tents
The Alpha Camp tent will bring durability and simplicity to your camping setup. With a 60-second setup time, you will be off doing your outdoor activities in no time, and with a wind-strong frame and big mesh windows, you can rest assured that you will be relaxing in comfort when rain hits.
- Dimensions: 10′ x 9′, center height: 72″
- 60-second setup
- “D” style door and side windows for views and ventilation
- Includes rainfly, tent stakes and carry bag
The Coleman Montana 6 Person Tent will bring the comfort of home to the outdoors. This tent includes an extended door awning, 15-minute setup, and plenty of space to spread out and get a good night’s sleep.
- WeatherTec system to keep water out
- Extended door awning
- Dimensions: 12′ x 7′, center height: 5’8″
- 15-minute setup
The OT QOMOTOP 6 Person Tent includes all of the essentials. Quick setup, a center height of 5’9″ and plenty of ventilation will give you everything you need on your next adventure.
- 60-second setup
- Dimensions: 10′ x 9′, center height: 5’9″
- Mesh roof & ground vent
- Waterproof technology
If you’re looking for a straightforward and durable cabin tent, the Pacific Pass Camping Tent could have your name on it. This tent sleeps up to six and reviewers rave about its stability and waterproof technology.
- Dimensions: 120″ x 108.3″, center height: 72″
- 4 zippered mesh windows & D-shaped door
- Stable and safe with waterproof technology
- 5-minute setup
The Timber Ridge 6 Person Cabin Tent has all of the key features including a defining O-shaped door for easy access and keeping dirt and bugs out. This tent will fit your family or friends comfortably with a center height of 6’5″.
- Dimensions: 10′ x 10′, center height: 78″
- Instant setup
- 3 zippered mesh roll-up windows and top mesh window for ventilation
- O-shaped door
Cabin Tents with Multiple Rooms
Multiple rooms provide the space and privacy many tents are lacking. The Browning Camping Big Horn Tent will have you stretching out and enjoying your space outside. A two room divider and separate doorways allow for two separate sleep areas or a lounge room for those not ready to turn in early.
- Fiberglass poles and steel uprights for stability and durability
- Two-room wall divider
- Dimensions: 10′ x 15′, center height: 87″
- Mesh storage pockets and polyester fly
- Six large windows & two doorways
The Coleman Signature Tent doesn’t just have a unique shape, it also has plenty of room to fit up to 8 people. A privacy room diver with 2 separate doors is also included, so camping with 2 groups is simple.
- Steel poles
- Water-resistant polyester rainfly
- Fits 8 people
- Privacy room divider
- 2 doors
A tent that can comfortably sleep 12 people is hard to find, but the Core Lighted 12 Person Tent is a great option if you’re planning a big camping trip. This tent includes two room dividers and a built-in LED lighting system for late nights.
- Built-in LED lighting
- 2-minute setup
- Dimensions: 18′ x 10′, center height: 80″
- Adjustable vent system
- Two included room dividers
The Ozark Trail Cabin Tent includes 3 rooms and fits up to 10 people. While not as high as other tent options, it provides plenty of ground space and multiple windows and doors for ventilation.
- One center door and 2 side doors
- Six windows
- 3 rooms
- Fits 10 people
- Dimensions: 20′ x 10′, center height: 78″
This luxury cabin tent fits 16 people – 16! The Tahoe Gear Family Cabin Tent is perfect if you want a little extra space for your family or if you want to invite some friends along. This tent features a fly canopy, mesh design, and a room divider.
- Fits 16 people
- Fly canopy for extra coverage
- Open mesh design and floor vents for ventilation
- Room divider
Cabin Tents with a Screened-in Porch
Screened-in porches are a great way to organize your tent and lounge without getting burnt or bitten by little critters. The Alpha Camp Tent with Screen Room is a perfect option for larger groups. This tent features a separate, floor-less screen room, “D”-style doors, and side windows to regulate temperature and provide you with some great views.
- Separate floor-less screen room provides weather and sun protection
- “D” style door and side windows for ventilation and views
- 17″x9′ floor space, center height: 80″
- 2 large side pockets
Not only does the Coleman Elite WeatherMaster Tent have a 9′ x 6′ screen porch, but it also has an LED light system overhead, giving you plenty of light when the sun goes down. With a center height of 6’8″, this cabin tent is perfect for both big and small families.
- Fits 6 people
- LED light system for overhead interior light
- 9′ x 6′ screen room for lounging
- Center height of 6’8″
- WeatherTec System and rainfly
The Core 6 Person Cabin Tent with Screen Room is a perfect medium size and includes a separate 10′ x 5′ screen room. Also included is an advanced venting system and gear loft with a lantern hook for extra storage.
- Advanced venting system
- Water-repellent rainfly
- Gear loft with lantern hook
- Tent size: 10′ x 9′ x 76″
- Screen room: 10′ x 5′
The Core Instant Cabin Tent with Awning doesn’t have your typical screen room but it does feature a front awning to lounge and stay out of the sun. With an instant setup and center height of 72″, you’ll be relaxing outside in no time.
- 60-second setup
- Sleeps 6 people
- “T” style door & awning
- Gear loft & lantern hook
- Center height: 72″
Large enough to sleep 9 people, the Ozark Trail Cabin Tent with Screen Room allows you to enjoy the scenery without the bugs and heat. Other notable features include 2-minute setup time and large windows with mesh screens.
- Large windows with mesh screens
- 2-minute setup
- Sleeps 9 people
- Screen room for bug-free lounging