Sleeping well will make or break a camping trip. Laying on a hard surface with bugs close by often gets in the way of a restful night, making it difficult to fully enjoy all of the outdoor activities you have planned. If you want an ideal sleeping set-up for your next trip, a camping cot is your best bet. Suspended above the ground with a sturdy base, a good camping cot will give you the cushion and support you need to sleep through the night and wake up refreshed.
But don’t settle for ANY camping cot. We reviewed dozens of camping cots to identify the best of the best. We looked at features such as height, cushion, weight, and price to help you find which cot is the best fit for you.
The Coleman ComfortSmart Cot was a clear winner because it encompasses everything a standard cot should be: comfortable, easy to fold, and sturdy. The fact that this cot is at a fair price and comes with a foam sleeping pad, made the best overall choice easy.
In This Article
The 5 Top Rated Camping Cots
|Best Overall||Coleman ComfortSmart Cot||4.6|
|Runner Up||Teton Sports Outfitter Camping Cot||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Coleman Trailhead II Cot||4.1|
|Best Kid’s Cot||Disc-O-Bed Kid-O-Bunk||4.7|
|Best 2-Person Cot||Coleman Queen Camping Cot||4.1|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Camping Cot Overall: Coleman ComfortSmart Cot
If you’re like most, you are searching for a quality cot at a fair price. The Coleman ComfortSmart Cot is both of these – and then some. Built with a durable steel frame that can support up to 300 lbs, this cot is made to withstand some tossing and turning – but with a thick foam sleeping pad, tossing and turning probably won’t be much of a problem at all.
The Coleman ComfortSmart Cot is also travel friendly. It folds easily to fit into the trunk of your car and only takes a few seconds to set up at camp.
This quality cot has passed the test for even the lightest sleepers. If you’re looking for a cot that feel’s more like your bed at home, the Coleman ComfortSmart Cot is worth checking out.
Coleman ComfortSmart Key Features:
- Thick foam sleeping pad for support
- Durable steel frame
- Height: 6ft, 6-inches
- Dimensions: 80 x 30 x 15 inches
- 1-year limited warranty
- 19.62 lbs
Best Foldable Camping Cot: TETON Sports Outfitter Camping Cot
Say goodbye to removing rocks and sticks before throwing down your sleeping bag. The TETON Sports Outfitter Camping Cot will transform your basecamp experience, leaving you ready and rested each morning. This cot was a close runner-up because of it’s unique design and foldability.
A common issue with cots is sagging. The TETON Sports Outfitter Cot ensures a tight fit every time with their pivot arm solution. This is essentially a built-in lever that makes putting the last end bar in quick and easy, resulting in a tight, comfortable sleeping surface.
Another key differentiator of this cot is size. When packed it is extremely portable, but you’ll be surprised at how much space you have to spread out once set up. The TETON Sports Outfitter Camping Cot is both larger and wider than a twin sized bed.
TETON Sports Outfitter Camping Cot Key Features:
- Weight Capacity: 600 lbs
- Folds down for easy transport
- Pivot arm resolution
- Strong and sturdy – reinforced steel S-leg strengthens cot and provides stability
- Dimensions (set-up): 85.75″ x 44.75″ x 19.25″
- Dimensions (packed): 42″ x 12″ x 7″
- Weight: 26 lbs
Best Budget Camping Cot: Coleman Trailhead II Cot
Who said quality has to be expensive? The Coleman Trailhead II Cot might be basic, but it is trustworthy. If you are looking for a budget buy that is durable, portable, and doesn’t sacrifice comfort, this cot is worth looking into.
The Coleman Trailhead II Cot is made with a durable steel frame and polyester fabric that can support up to 300 lbs and even comes with pockets to keep your essentials just a reach away. The portability of this cot is also worth mentioning. The easy-to-assemble design folds compactly, making it simple to take anywhere.
Coleman Trailhead II Cot Key Features:
- Gear pockets
- Steel frame & polyester fabric
- Strong folding steel X frame design for compact, easy transport
- Unfolded dimensions: 75″ x 35″ x 17″
- Folded dimensions: 40.2″ x 7.9″ x 3.9″
- Weight: 18.3 lbs
Best Kid Camping Cot: Disco-Bed Kid-O-Bunk
The Disco-Bed Kid-O-Bunk cot isn’t limited to the outdoors. This 2-level cot is perfect for grandparent visits, sleepovers and, of course, camping trips. The key word to this cot is versatility. It doesn’t just function as a bunk bed, it can also be assembled into 2 single cots or a bench for sitting during the day.
Other important features include water resistance for easy spill clean-up, two matching side organizers for personal belongings, and multiple color options. And with a simple, no-tool assembly, you’ll have your kids sleeping sound in minutes.
Disco-Bed Kid-O-Bunk Key Features:
- Versatile set up (bench, bunk, 2 single cots)
- Modular, portable and compact
- High-grade polyester material
- Anti-rust frame can support up to 200 lbs
- No-tool assembly
Best 2-Person Camping Cot: Coleman Queen Camping Cot
Whether you want more sleeping room or want to sleep with your partner, the Coleman Queen Camping Cot will transform how you think about sleeping under the stars. This cot comes with everything. And by everything I mean a cot with side tables, air mattress and battery-operated pump.
Other than the obvious “glamping” features, the Coleman Queen Camping Cot also checks all of the functional boxes. The air mattress’ leak-proof and coil design ensures that it stays firm all night and a sewn-in cover keeps it from moving around on the cot. The strong steel frame can support up to 600 lbs, and the air mattress can also function as a separate bed – giving you double sleeping space.
Coleman Queen Camping Cot Key Features:
- 3-piece combo: side tables, air mattress, battery-operated pump
- Leek proof air bed
- Dimensions: 78″ x 58″ x 22″
- Supports up to 600 lbs
- Carry bag for easy storage
Who Should Buy a Camping Cot
A camping cot is a fast, easy and comfortable option for sleeping in new places. When you’re camping outside, it takes time to find a flat surface, remove rocks and sticks and make sure there aren’t many critters sharing the space with you. With a camping cot, you get the assurance that wherever you are, you will get a good night’s sleep.
Because sleeping on camping cots does require extra gear, it’s important to consider what type of camping you will be doing. If you are going on a long backpacking trip, for example, lugging around a steel frame probably isn’t the route you want to take. If you are simply camping at a camp site, throwing a cot in the backseat doesn’t take up much space and will give you the sleeping upgrade you’re looking for.
Another use for camping cots is general travel. Because of the minimal space and ease of set up, cots are ideal when you are having guests stay over. Further, if you are staying at a hotel or friend’s house that is lacking enough sleeping arrangements, a cot is a quick solve that will leave everyone happy.
Important Features to Consider
A camping cot should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a quality camping cot:
- Portability. When looking for a camping cot, portability is key. You don’t want the hassle of lugging around a heavy, large bed from place to place. Make sure that your cot comes with a carrying case and that the fold-down and set-up process is simple and straightforward.
- Weight. Similar to portability, you also want to make sure that the weight of the cot isn’t too heavy to make setting it up or taking it with you difficult. The amount of weight the cot supports is also essential. You will want to choose a camping cot based on whoever’s weight will be sleeping on it.
- Stability. Without stability, you are left sleeping on a flimsy cot that is uneven and unreliable. The cot you choose should have a frame made of durable material that you can trust and that can withstand some tossing and turning throughout the night.
- Comfort. Why are you interested in a camping cot? My guess is because you want a comfortable night’s sleep. Comfort, above all else is important when selecting your cot – and this can mean different things to different people. If you are a larger person who wants to spread out, you might consider a 2-person cot. One universal comfort feature to consider is the type of material and tightness of the cot base. Look for strong, smooth material that is water-resistant.
- Pockets. This is more of a preference feature, but if having your phone, water, and other essentials close by is important, look for a cot with pockets. These pockets are really helpful, especially if you need to access a flashlight in the middle of the night.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a camping cot?
A camping cot is a fold-out bed that consists of a frame and fabric. The frame is often made of steel legs that give the bed stability and the fabric is made of thick material that supports a fair amount of weight. The fabric is stretched tight from end to end, creating a flat sleeping surface that is suspended above the ground.
A cot is often used when camping because it eliminates the need to clear a smooth surface and it packs up into a portable size to carry around. Other than camping, cots are also used for traveling or whenever you need an extra sleeping set-up.
Are cots comfortable to sleep on?
This depends on the type of cot you get and personal preference but yes, quality camping cots should be comfortable to sleep on. There are many options when choosing the most comfortable cot for you.
The most comfortable camping cots have three main features: sturdy frame, tight and thick fabric and a large enough size. If you have a cot with these three things, you should sleep fairly comfortably. If you are looking for some extra comfort, certain cots also come with padding/air mattress, pockets, and extra room to spread out. You can also check out our list of the best sleeping bags that will make your cot set-up complete.
Do you need a sleeping pad with a cot?
A sleeping pad will definitely give you more cushion, but whether or not it is necessary is up to you. Because a cot is above the ground, you don’t have to worry about sleeping on an extremely hard surface, so many people are satisfied with just a sleeping bag on top. However; having a sleeping pad can’t hurt and there are many portable and affordable options to choose from.
What is the difference between a cot and a cot bed?
A cot and cot bed might sound similar, but they usually refer to completely different things. While a cot is generally referring to a portable and foldable bed (usually a bit narrower than a twin bed), a cot bed is often used to describe a bed for small children.
A cot bed has removable sides and an end panel. This type of bed can convert into a small bed for toddlers but is also used for babies who need side panels for safety. These beds are not usually used for portable sleeping options, they usually stay in one place.
Other Camping Cots We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other camping cots. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best camping cots list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for sleeping outside. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Military Camping Cots
The Alpcour Folding Camping Cot is both durable and lightweight. If you are looking for a reliable sleeping solution that can take some wear and tear, this cot is worth checking out.
- Lightweight and portable
- Durable polyester fabric
- Padded pillow and side pocket
- 13 lbs
The OSAGE RIVER Camping Cot is made to withstand the toughest weather conditions. With 600D PVC coated polyester, this cot will ensure you have a dry night’s sleep. The ease of use is also worth noting, simply press down to lock the legs in position and you’re good to go.
- Tubular carbon steel legs
- Dimensions: 28″ x 75″ x 18.5″
- Easy set-up
The REDCAMP Folding Camping Cot is all about durability. Easily supporting up to 500 lbs, this cot is made of 600D Double Oxford fabric and thick elliptical-shaped tubes for the cot legs.
- 10-second set-up
- 600D Double Oxford Fabric
- 12 support legs in heavy duty triangle frame
- Side bag to store essentials
The “Easy” in the name of this cot isn’t by accident – setting up the Byer Maine Easy Cot is a simple matter of unfolding. What’s more, this cot is incredibly strong for it’s size, supporting up to 330 lbs and height’s up to 6’4″.
- Dimensions: 78″ x 31″ x 18″
- No end rails
- Steel legs and 600 denier polyester 5-panel reinforced fabric
- Comes with carry bag and shoulder strap
EARTH Extra Strong Military Cot
If you’re looking for a classic military cot with some extra comfort, the EARTH Extra Strong Military Cot is for you. This cot is extremely strong and roomy, supporting weight up to 450 lbs. Bonus features include adjustable tension straps, side storage bags and a mini pillow.
- Steel tubing
- Washable & water-resistant 600 Denier Polyester Cover
- Velcro straps to adjust fabric tension
- Weight capacity: 450 lbs
Compact Camping Cots
Coleman Camping Cot with Side Table
The Coleman Camping Cot is compact, but doesn’t skip out on comfort. Easy to store and travel with, this cot also comes with a side table and plenty of surface area to spread out on.
- Removable side-table with cupholder
- Extra sleeping room for campers up to 6 ft. 6 inch.
- Dimensions: 80″ x 44″ x 17″
- Carry bag for easy storage
OSAGE RIVER Folding Camping Cot
If you’re looking for a simple and sturdy cot, the OSAGE RIVER Folding Camping Cot is worth considering. Reviewers rave about the ease of set up and the durability of the frame. This cot is perfect for camping or for an extra bed when you have guests over.
- Lightweight but sturdy, supporting up to 300lbs
- Dimensions: 28″ x 75″ x 18.5″
- Easy set-up, simply press down on joints to lock
- Weight: 13 lbs
Looking for a cot you can backpack with? The HITORHIKE Camping Cot is ultralight and compact – it even comes with a stuff sack! Weighing only 4.8 lbs, this cot is made to go places.
- Ultralight and compact
- Weight: 4.8 lbs
- Folds down to 15″ x 6.2″ stuff sack
- Easy install
Another great backpacking bed is the Desert Walker Camping Cot. For how little it weighs, this cot is surprisingly sturdy and can support up to 440 lbs. And with soft, Oxford fabric, you’ll be sleeping like a baby.
- Ultralight – 2.8 lbs
- Soft, Oxford fabric bed
- Strong aluminum rod material, supporting up to 440 lbs
- Dimensions: 72.8″ x 23.6″ x 5.9″
The PORTAL Folding Camping Cot is a favorite because of its reliability and easy set up. The classic design is perfect for any occasion and the extra large side pocket has plenty of room to store all of your essentials.
- Dimensions: 83″ x 30.5″ x 19″
- Carry bag for easy transport
- Fast & easy setup and take down
- Large side storage pockets
Tent Camping Cots
Kamp-Rite Oversize Camping Cot
If you’re traveling solo, a tent cot may be the perfect way to kill two birds with one stone. The Kamp-Rite Oversize Cot will give you privacy and complete coverage from the outside elements. You can also easily convert it into a traditional cot that fits in a tent or a lounge chair.
- Versatile – convert into traditional cot or lounge chair
- Complete coverage from outside elements
- Comes with water-proof rainfly
- Mesh windows
The Tangkula Tent Cot is a premium option, providing you with complete coverage and durability. The foldable design and breathable fabric will make your next camping trip much simpler.
- D-shaped screening doors for easy entry
- Foldable design for easy set-up and take down
- Breathable micro-mesh material
Another durable all-in-one sleeping option is the Yescom Folding Camp Cot. This cot is designed to support 330 lbs of weight and withstand even the toughest weather conditions.
- High strength and waterproof
- Support weight up to 330 lbs
- Sturdy and durable metal frame
- Foldable for quick and easy set-up and take down
Reviewers love the versatility and practicality of the Kamp-Rite Original Tent Cot. With mesh doors and quality fabric, you can rest assured you’ll be sleeping well all night.
- Versatile – convert into traditional cot or lounge chair
- Two zipper polyester and mesh doors
- Mesh openings for air flow
- 27.4 lbs
Winterial Double Outdoor Camping Cot
Both a tent and bed, the Winterial Double Outdoor Camping Cot is an all-in-one camping solution. While it is a pricier option, you’re saving in time and money since you no longer need a tent. This tent cot is perfect for taking on road trips and setting up at campsites.
- Aluminum collapsable frame
- Support up to 500 lbs
- 4 windows with insect-free mesh lining
Kid Camping Cots
The Regalo My Cot Toddler Bed is perfect for quick camping trips and sleepovers. When it comes to a kid cot, comfort and durability are essential. This cot has both of these, and even comes with a fitted sheet for extra cushion.
- Fold & go design for easy setup
- Durable, all-steel frame supports up to 75 lbs
- Fitted sheet for extra comfort
- Dimensions: 48″ x 24.5″ x 9″
Looking for a kid’s cot that they can grow into? The Regalo My Cot Extra Long Bed is for you. The easy fold and go design makes it perfect for all occasions and it’s extra length means kids of all sizes can sleep comfortably.
- Large sleep surface: 54″ x 28″ x 12″
- Fold & go design for easy setup
- Fitted sheet for extra comfort
- Supports up to 80 lbs
Hiccapop Inflatable Toddler Bed
Inflatable beds are another great cot option for kid-friendly camping trips. The Hiccapop Inflatable Toddler Bed is both lightweight and portable – perfect for packing in the car and bringing on your next big adventure.
- Lightweight & portable
- XL travel bag and electric pump included
- Made of puncture-proof, durable material
- Velvet flocked smooth mattress
- Inflates in under 30 seconds
Little Sleepy Head Toddler Inflatable Bed
Another inflatable cot option for your kids is the Little Sleepy Head Inflatable Toddler Bed. This bed is easy to set up and comes with both an electrical air pump and carry bed. Additionally, the side rails prevent your kid from rolling out in the middle of the night.
- Comfy, quiet and portable
- Comes with electric air pump and carry bag
- Supports up to 300 lbs
- Rails on both sides
The Joovy Foocot Child Cot is perfect for camping and backpacking trips with your kids. And with multiple bright colors, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- Multiple bright colors
- Two storage pockets
- Travel bag with storage cots
- 6.6 lbs