Ever tried your hand at fly fishing? It’s one of the most fabulous outdoor activities for nature lovers. Without the best flies, however, this enjoyable pastime becomes an aggravating let-down. Fly fishing takes you to beautiful off-the-beaten-path locations, challenges your brain and body, and gives you the highest bragging rights among fishers. Don’t let your passion be trampled on due to lack of proper equipment.
We reviewed dozens of the best flies to identify the best of the best. We looked at type, size, shape, materials, craftsmanship and more. Our search yielded us some real treasures. In fact, we think you’re going to be hooked once you get a load of this catch of the best flies (double pun intended!)
Beautiful hand-crafted waterproof flies made from the highest quality elk hair, hares ear, pheasant tail and more.
Beautiful hand-crafted waterproof flies made from the highest quality elk hair, hares ear, pheasant tail and more.
Our top pick for the best flies is the Outdoor Planet Assorted Flies. This particular batch includes 66 beautifully crafted flies perfect for freshwater fly fishing. Sizes range from 10 to 16. Materials include everything from elk hair and foam to pheasant tail and hares ear. Even more, the purchase includes a 100 percent waterproof double-sided fly box. Amazon customers rate these flies with 4.6 out of 5 stars. You can pick up this killer deal for only $47.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Fly fishing Flies
|Best Overall||Outdoor Planet Assorted Trout Flies||4.6|
|Runner Up||Bassdash Fly Fishing Flies||4.3|
|Best Budget Buy||Piscifun Dry & Wet Flies Combination||4.4|
|Best Dry Flies||Barnsley Fly Co. Dry Flies||4.3|
|Best Wet Flies||BH Copper John Wet Fly||4.7|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Outdoor Planet Assorted Flies
The Outdoor Planet Assorted Flies are among the best flies a fly fisher could ask for. Regardless of being a beginner, intermediate, or advanced fisher, If catching trout from freshwater rivers and streams are among your fly fishing dreams, these flies will make your dreams come true. The flies themselves come with impressive patterns made from high-quality materials. They’re also super effective at catching a fish’s attention.
These flies consist of slit, secure grip, and streamer foam as well. They’re lightweight, crafted to perfection, and long-lasting. Even more, the Outdoor Planet Assorted Flies include a double-sided box with enough space for a hundred various flies. The box is entirely waterproof and easily fits in your pants pocket or larger tackle box. That means you can carry them out into the water with you rather than leave them lonely on the shore.
This assortment consists of a fantastic collection including Classic Adams, Copper John, Elk Hair, Hares Ear, and Pheasant Tail. Most of these flies range between size 10 and 16. As if these flies aren’t impressive enough already, this purchase also comes with a bonus fly tucked away on the backside of the double-sided box. No matter what your skill level is, these flies are well worth the investment. That said, if you enjoy fly fishing off-the-beaten-path, you might be interested in a waterproof backpack to carry your gear (and lunch) in as well!
Outdoor Planet Assorted Flies Key Features:
- 66 premium lightweight flies
- Sizes 10 to 16
- Waterproof fly box included
Our Runner Up Pick: Bassdash Fly Fishing Flies
Whether you’re a veteran angler or brand new to fly fishing these premium flies are the perfect addition to your gear.
The Bassdash Fly Fishing Flies were the biggest competition for our top pick of the best flies. Once you see what they’re all about, you’ll understand why. These flies are a product of the Bassdash business model, meaning, they’re a superior product at the lowest possible price. Without a middleman, there’s no room for inflated prices. When you buy Bassdash Fly Fishing Flies, you’re getting some of the best flies on the market without a doubt.
New fly anglers and experience fishers alike will enjoy the ease and speed at which these flies allow you to hit the water. That said, this particular package of flies happens to be geared towards the newer angler. Meaning, the hard work of sorting out which sort of flies to use for certain types of fish has already been done for you by the manufacturer. Even more, the flies are separated, categorized, labeled in an easy to understand method that’ll have you ready for fly fishing in no time.
Catching rainbow trout and freshwater bass has never been easier than with the Bassdash Flies. These flies are great for those looking to learn about fly fishing for the first time, or merely wishing to up their fly selection game. If you’re looking for the perfect gift for your angler husband, dad, or grandfather, look no further. Furthermore, if you’ve been searching for a pack of flies to top off your collection, these bad boys are all you need and then some.
Bassdash Fly Fishing Flies Key Features:
- 96 hand-crafted flies featuring round bend hooks
- Perfect flies for fresh running and still water fishing
- Detailed fly patterns in various sizes, great for learning
Best Budget Pick: Pisciful Dry & Wet Flies Combination
When it comes to fly fishing on a budget Pisciful’s combo of precision-made dry, and wet flies are among the best on the market.
Our pick for the best budget flies currently on the market is the Pisciful Dry & Wet Flies Combination. No matter what size flies you’re looking for, this combo-pack is sure to include it. Fly lengths range from approximately half an inch to slightly over an inch long. Furthermore, they’re lightweight and durable as well. Shorter flies weigh in at less than one-quarter of a gram. The longer flies weigh just under half a gram.
Each of the Piscifun Dry & Wet Flies is hand-made by fly fishing professionals. Every one of the flies is crafted with precision on sharp strong number 10 hooks; that way no matter what size fish bites you fly will be hard pressed to escape. The flies come in several colorful tones perfect for all seasons and situations.
There are 40 separate flies included in this purchase. Five flies for each of the eight various colors that come with this combination pack. These flies are crafted to imitate extremely life-like patterns found on popular insects that fish feed on. The bright and vivid tones of these flies and their graceful sinking and swimming motions are sure to get the attention of fish quickly. Hence, they’re perfect for catching trout and other fish by anglers all skill levels.
Pisciful Dry & Wet Flies Key Features:
- 40 dry and wet flies of various colors
- Incredibly life-life patterns and motions
- Hand-made by pros and set on number 10 hooks
Best Dry Flies: Barnsley Fly Co. Dry Flies
Excellent insect-like performance, high-end materials, and long-lasting durability are what you’ll get when you purchase dry flies from Barnsley Fly Co.
The best dry flies that we came across during our intensive research were unquestionably the Barnsley Fly Co. Dry Flies. These assorted dry flies are fashioned from high-quality materials and are extremely durable. For the price, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better deal on dry flies. That said, they aren’t the most beautiful; however, they are more than effective and get the job done.
The package includes fifty dry and parachute flies. Also, there are an extra 50 flies thrown in as well. These extra flies include streamer, scud, worm, wet, and various nymphs. The patterns on the Barnsley Fly Co. Dry Flies are excellent and selected due to their high success rate at landing large amounts of fish.
The Barnsley Fly Co. Dry Flies are one of the best deals on the market as far as durability, quality, and price. You’ll be very hard put to find a better purchase. These flies are of a class that deserves to be found in every anglers tackle-box. If you’ve been searching for the best dry flies, your search ends here.
Barnsley Fly Co. Dry Flies Key Features:
- 50 dry and parachute flies
- 50 extra flies including nymph, wet, streamer, worm and more
- Effective patterns known for landing loads of fish
Best Wet Flies: BH Copper John Wet Fly
Our pick for the best wet flies is the BH Copper John Wet Fly, hands down. There is a reason for the BH Copper John pattern being the number one fly in the world. They are a perfect imitation of the trout’s very favorite food, the nymph. That said, these babies pull in more fish than any other flies in existence. No kidding, it’s no marketing gimmick.
Year in and year out trout are gobbling up nymphs of every shape and size imaginable. That’s why BH Copper John Wet Flies come in multiple formats. With this purchase, you’ll get eight of the world’s number one flies: four size-12 and four size-14. That means you’re getting two of each color. There are indeed no better wet flies currently available on the market. Furthermore, there probably never will be!
Spring, summer, fall, or winter; there’s no need to stop fly fishing on account of the season. These legendary wet flies will have you catching trout by the bushel all year round. Even more, these highly durable flies, the number one pattern in the world, imitating the number one food source of trout, come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Not happy? Return them with no questions asked. They are the perfect gift, as well as an awesome addition to your collection of flies.
BH Copper John Wet Fly Key Features:
- 8 of the number one fly patterns in the world, sizes 12 and 14
- Two colors, highly durable, work in all seasons
- 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee
Who Should Buy Fishing Flies
Beautiful hand-crafted waterproof flies made from the highest quality elk hair, hares ear, pheasant tail and more.
If you enjoy fly fishing or are considering getting into it, you definitely need to buy a handful of fishing flies. The best flies are vital to fly fishing success and include a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and personalities. Regardless of skill-level, rookies, intermediates, and professionals alike are nothing without the best flies.
However, to be honest, fly fishing is not for everyone. That said, it’s one of the most rewarding outdoor experiences a fisher will ever experience. From the gorgeous far-flung places fly fishing takes you to the fun and challenging task of landing a big ‘ol trout or bass without a reel, there is nothing like it. Fly fishing is one of the hardest forms of fishing to master, and it is impossible without the best flies.
Important Features to Consider
A great fishing fly should include several important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting the best flies for fishing.
- Size. The best flies come in all shapes and sizes. The larger the fly, the smaller its number is — the higher the number, the smaller the fly. For example, 18 is one of the smallest flies. On the other hand, a size two is considered quite significant.
- Time of year. The time of year is perhaps the most crucial aspect to consider when selecting the best flies. During spring and summer, insects are typically larger and out in number. That means you’ll need a larger fly. Furthermore, In the winter time, when insects generally are smaller and less available for feeding fish, your fly size should also be lower.
- Geographic location. Your physical location has a lot to do with what sort of fly is most proper. The best way to gauge what sort and size fly will give you the most success is to visit the area you will be fishing and take a look around. Lift a few rocks or logs, and look at the surface of the water. Whatever sort of insects are there in the most substantial numbers is the shape and size fly that will work the best.
- Current hatching. The best shape and size fly for fishing is often found by imitating the existing insects in the area. This is often referred to by pro-fishers as “matching the hatch.”
- Your Goals. Another aspect to consider when selecting the best flies is your personal goals. Do you plan to use flies just for one purpose? Or do you expect to use flies for luring fish out from hiding, tricking them into feeding, or determining their size or behavior? Each goal requires a specific sort of fly. Knowing your goals will allow you to select the best flies for the job.
- Fishes behavior. The behavior of fish varies significantly from season to season, as well as from one body of water to another. The best flies for catching rainbow trout in one stream may be vastly different from the best flies for landing the same type fish in another stream. That said, adjusting your flies often is necessary. Hence, investing in and keeping a variety of flies is always a good idea.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the different types of flies for fly fishing?
There are several different types of flies for fishing. The most popular of which are the dry fly (or top-water fly), subsurface fly (or half-submerged fly), and the wet fly (or fully submerged fly). That said, each type of fly comes in various shapes, sizes, and colors. Some are mass-produced and easily replaceable, while others are one-of-a-kind handmade flies.
Do you use bait when fly fishing?
Yes, and no. When fly fishing, the fly is the bait. The best flies are designed in shape and size to appear similar to real insects. Furthermore, the best flies are also made to behave in the same manner as insects do when they hit, float, or swim in the water.
What’s the difference between a dry fly and a wet fly?
The main difference between a dry flies and wet flies is that a dry fly stays atop the water whereas a wet fly becomes submerged. Dry flies are designed to appear like insects that are perched on the surface of the water. That said, wet flies are made to dive under the water as if they were swimming like an insect. Both dry and wet flys are incredibly popular, especially with trout fishers.
Do dry flies float?
Yes. Dry flies are known as dry because they indeed do float. They are designed in a manner that allows them to stay on top of the water. Most of the time dry flies include foam or elk hair in their construction. Others may contain some sort of CDC-based product, typically an oil, which also helps them to stay floating even longer.
Other Fishing Flies We Reviewed
We looked at 20 more of the best flies. Even though they didn’t make our five best flies list, they’re the best of the rest, and each is still an excellent option for fly fishing. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listings below.
The Fly Fishing Trout Flies are the perfect bait for using all year ‘round. They come In a couple of different sizes and several vivid colors as well. That said, you can always choose just the right one for the size and type of the fish you’re after.
- Waterproof fly box with multiple flies
- Flies measure from size 10 to size 16
- Dry and terrestrial flies for warm weather, nymphs, and streamers for cold months
- High-quality hand-tied materials with bright colors
YZD’s Fly Fishing Collection consists of high-end and durable materials; they’ll last you a long time. Furthermore, their natural and realistic look easily attracts fish.
- Designed to look and behave like real flies
- Great results during all four seasons
- Include with an award-winning waterproof fly box
- Handmade by pros with only the highest standards
The YAZHIDA Fly Fishing Kit is useful in catching salmon, bass, trout, and other fish. They’re designed to floating for long periods and perfectly match real freshwater flies.
- Hand-tied flies by industry professionals
- Extremely vivid colors make catching fish a breeze
- Suitable for all kinds of fly fishing techniques
- Works just as well in moving waters as in still waters
Piscifun Classic Fly Fishing Dry/Wet Flies are an excellent solution for every all fly fishing skill levels. Even more, the differences in colors, hooks types, and size work well in just about any angling conditions.
- Various colors and hook shapes
- Measure just under an inch and weigh just one-tenth of a gram
- 12 high-quality flies ready for use
- Perfect flies for all skill levels
The Croch Fly Fishing Flies Assortment Kit offers you an amazing fly fishing experience for sure. These small and lightweight flies are both colorful and realistic. They also come with a waterproof storage box.
- Lightweight flies stay a-float longer
- Colorful flies with high-end carbon steel hooks
- Your choice of 60 or 120 flies
- Purchase includes a solid waterproof box
Fly Fishing Kits
WETFLY’s Fly Tying Kit makes creating beautiful flies easy for beginners. Furthermore, it comes with every sort of material you could need for pro fly crafting. It’s the perfect gift for DIY dads.
- Comes with an instructional book and DVD
- Includes all the necessary tools for tying flies
- High-quality materials for long-lasting flies
- Durable carrying case for all your hand-made flies
FISHINGSIR’s Fly Fishing Kit comes with all sorts of flies. They’ll make you feel like a professional in no time at all, allowing you to merely enjoying in fly fishing without stressing out over second-rate bait.
- 64 pieces including 18 wet, 24 nymphs, and eight streamers
- 20-plus favorite patterns from all around the world
- Designed to land even the largest fish and work well all year
- Comes with an all-weather fly box for storage
Fishing On The Fly Fly Fishing Trout Flies is what you’re looking for if you’re after trout. These colorful flies will serve you right no matter what time of year it is.
- Versatile assortment of hand-tied flies, nymphs and streamers) with a waterproof box
- Realistic colors and diver patterns
- Multiple styles and sizes make it suitable for almost all bodies of water
- Produced by a small business in Massachusetts
LotFancy Fly Fishing Kit is an excellent choice if you’re after the most popular sort of flies. This kit includes dry flies, wet flies, nymph flies, streamers, minnows, pheasants and more.
- 60 pieces with fly fishing waterproof store carriage case
- Comes in three different sizes: 6,10,12
- Sharp steel hooks, vivid colors and quality feathers, hand made
- Great for saltwater and freshwater
The Focuser Fly Fishing Flies cover all your needs for fishing in all conditions. These flies come in all shapes and colors; all you need to do is relax and catch a fish.
- 100 flies in 5 various sizes
- 20 patterns with diverse colors and hook shapes
- Organization case that allows you to find the perfect fly at the perfect time quickly
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back
If you’re in the market for excellent quality flies made by professionals, look no further than the BH Prince Nymph Fishing Flies. These flies are fantastic to add to your collection or as a gift to serious anglers.
- 12 high-grade flies, 3 flies in 4 different sizes
- Hand-tied by professionals on premium hooks
- Looking and performing life-like
- Satisfaction is guaranteed
These YAZHIDA Fly Fishing Flies are made out of best materials available on the market. That said, they’re extremely durable, come with realistic details, and include a nice waterproof box.
- Consist of premium-grade silicone for superior flexibility and floatability
- Premium hand-made designs on each fly including 3D eyes and natural weights
- Perfect imitation of the Mosquito and the Housefly
- Waterproof double-sided fly box
YZD Trout Fly Fishing Flies Collection is what you want and need if you’re into competition fly fishing. Fish will be hard put noticing the difference between these handmade flies and real ones.
- A new generation of flies that appear realistic and perform like real insects
- Lightweight and flexible materials allow for greater ability to float
- Superior flies that provide you a superior experience
- High-end construction for long-lasting flies
The FlyDeal Fishing Flies Assortment is a perfect choice for you no matter you like to fish for. These flies allow you to relax, enjoy your hobby, and are also perfect for teaching new anglers how to do it like the pros.
- Consists of 31 high-quality trout flies in 12 unique patterns
- High-end carbon steel hooks assure you’ll catch plenty of fish
- Handmade professionally from the best materials available
- Top selling flies, come with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee
The Fly Fishing Place Trout Fly Set makes your warm-weather fishing time so much more relaxing. This set is geared towards summer-time fishing and comes with three popular dry fly designs.
- Includes 12 flies, 3 separate dry fly patterns
- Meant for use during the warmest times of the year
- Perfect for catching trout, bass, panfish, and other freshwater species
- High-quality flies hand-tied for pros by professional fly-makers
The 120 piece FISHINGSIR Fly Fishing Fly Kit is a prime choice if you’re looking for the ultimate set of flies. This kit makes fly fishing easy and enjoyable. Even more, it comes with a waterproof fly box that fits in your pocket so you can take it practically anywhere.
- 120 premium flies with a pocket-sized waterproof carrying box
- A diverse selection of well-known patterns from all over the world
- Comes with wet, dry, streamer, nymph, and emerger-type flies
- Each fly is 100 percent handmade
CROSH’s Fly Fishing Flies Assortment Kit provides an equally stimulating fishing experience for newbies and professionals alike. The CROSH kit is loaded with various styles and sizes for fishing all year long.
- High-quality lightweight and hand-tied flies with carbon steel hooks
- Multiple colors and designs allow for fishing in various conditions
- A very realistic appearance that draws the attention of fish quickly and easily
- Easy-to-organize waterproof box for superior storage
The Outdoor Planet Fly Fishing Flies Assortment is a must-have if you are into Trout fishing. You can be sure that their life-like colors and performance will work well in various conditions.
- 12 high-end flies, 6 size-14 Adams, and 6 size-12 Parachutes
- Realistic imitation of the top insect types that trout, bass, and other fish eat
- Work great for trout, salmon, bass, panfish and more
- Includes a storage box for your flies
YAZHIDA Fly’s Handmade Fishing Flies Kit is made to serve beginners, intermediate, and advanced anglers all the same. The flies are as realistic as they get and make an excellent addition to your gear as well as a gift.
- Highest quality, lightweight, and extremely durable fishing flies
- Strong carbon steel hooks make even the largest fish easy to catch
- 3D eyes and vivid colors lend a natural appearance to each fly
- Every fly is crafted with care by hand
This fly fishing kit from Airkul Fly Fishing is just what you need for upping your fly fishing game. That said, their high-quality materials, versatile patterns, and variety of colors and sizes will impress even the most experienced fly fisher.
- Includes dry, wet, streamer, and emergers made for both saltwater and freshwater
- 100 percent handmade by seasons professionals
- A diverse range of colors and sizes make catching even the pickiest fish a sinch
- Long-lasting carrying case made of ABS plastics