When you’re traveling, whether for work or vacation, you want all of your essentials organized and at your fingertips. Backpacks are a great way to store your gear, eliminate mess, and ultimately make your travel experience easier. These packs come in all shapes and sizes, and you can rest assured that there is one out there for you that will exceed your expectations. These travel backpacks can do it all, from charging your phone to storing your laptop.
We reviewed dozens of travel backpacks to identify the best of the best and help guide your search. We based our recommendations on consumer reviews, ratings, space, functionality, and innovative features.
Looking for backpacks to trek through rainy weather? Take a look at our review for best waterproof backpacks.
The MATEIN Travel Backpack checked all of the boxes when it came to travel backpacks. This versatile pack was the clear choice for top pick not only for its classic, gender-neutral look, but also because of its multiple storage pockets, lightweight design, and durability.
In This Article
The 5 Top Rated Travel Backpacks
|Best Overall||MATEIN Travel Backpack||4.7|
|Runner Up||YOREPEK Extra Large Backpack||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||XDesign Travel Laptop Backpack||4.9|
|Best Carry-On Travel Backpack||VBG VBIGER Laptop Backpack||4.8|
|Best Lightweight Backpack||Doingbag Backpack||5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: MATEIN Travel Backpack
The MATEIN Travel Backpack was a clear top pick. People from all backgrounds, ages, and professions rave about this pack’s versatility, functionality, and comfort. Whether you are traveling to a new city, hiking through the mountains, or headed to class, this backpack has everything you need to keep your belongings safe and accessible.
Let’s talk about functionality. When you are searching for a travel backpack, you want one that has plenty of space and pockets. The MATEIN Travel Backpack has plenty room for storage – without the bulky look that many other packs have. For starters, it has a laptop compartment that can accommodate any laptops under 15.6” (there is another option that fits 17”). The next compartment is perfect for packing clothes, umbrellas, or any larger items you need, and the front compartment comes with many other pockets to keep track of smaller valuables.
You don’t have to let the rain get in the way of your destination with the MATEIN Travel Backpack. This pack is made of water resistant and durable polyester fabric with metal zippers to ensure your valuables are protected and your backpack lasts.
Navigating the airport is made easy with the MATEIN Travel Backpack. This pack includes innovative features such as a built in USB charger and charging cable that allows you to charge your phone while you walk, a luggage strap so you can fit it on your suitcase, and a hidden anti-theft packet on the back to keep items such as your passport and wallet safe.
MATEIN Travel Backpack Key Features:
- Water-resistant & durable polyester fabric
- Metal zippers
- Laptop compartment fits computers under 15.6”
- Built-in USB charger
- Airflow back design w/ ventilation padding & back support
- Dimensions: 17”x12”x2”
- Weight: 1.56lbs
Our Runner Up Pick: YOREPEK Extra Large Backpack
The YOREPEK Extra Large Backpack is a beast – it’s hard to think of something this pack can’t store. Space and bonus features such as TSA Scansmart made this travel backpack a close second to our top pick.
This travel backpack comes with 20+ pockets – that’s right, TWENTY. Each of these pockets is independent and multi functional so whatever you need to store, this pack will have a place for it. The easily accessible laptop compartment is separate from the roomy main compartment so you can easily grab your computer when you need it and includes a flexible Velcro strap to keep it in place.
The large capacity of the YOREPEK Extra Large Backpack may have you worrying about weight on your back. Fortunately, this pack has a multi-panel airflow design that gives you extra back support and comfort. Padded wide shoulder straps and side compression straps are also adjustable.
What stands out most about the YOREPEK Extra Large Backpack (other than size) is that it was essentially made for easy air travel. The TSA Scansmart feature allows you to simple unfold your backpack to a flat position, which allows quick access to the scanner without removing your laptop. Other airport-friendly features include an earphone jack, side exterior USB port for convenient charging while walking, and lockable two-way zippers for security.
YOREPEK Extra Large Backpack Key Features:
- Water-resistant & durable 1680D polyester fabric
- Lockable two-way zippers
- 17” laptop compartment
- TSA Scansmart
- Built-in external USB Port
- Multi-panel airflow design
- Earphone jack
- 20+ multi-functional pockets
- Weight: 2.75lbs
- 36-55L Capacity
- Dimensions: 19”x14.6”x10.23”
Best Budget Pick: XDesign Travel Laptop Backpack
$20 may seem like a steal for a travel backpack – and that’s because it is. Customers have only good things to say about our best budget pick, the XDesign Travel Laptop Backpack. This backpack has all of the necessities of a good travel pack, and with a clean, modern look.
For being so light, the XDesign Travel Laptop Backpack has plenty of storage. It can store computers up to 16” and comes with additional tech-friendly features such as a headphone jack and built-in USB port so you can charge your electronics on the go. This pack also includes a hidden storage pocket located at the bottom where you can keep valuables safe.
Comfort is not overlooked in this XDesign backpack. With adjustable straps and a cushioned backside, your back and neck will thank you. Additionally, this pack is lined with durable, breathable, and water-resistant Oxford fabric to feel lightweight while protecting your belongings from all elements. For further security, there is a front buckle and secure zippers to protect any valuables from potential theft.
XDesign Travel Laptop Backpack Key Features:
- Laptop pocket for computers up to 16”.
- Headphone jack
- Built-in USB port
- Durable & breathable Oxford fabric
- Front buckle & secure zippers
- Adjustable straps & cushioned backside
Best Carry-On Travel Backpack: VBG VBIGER Laptop Backpack
What makes an ideal carry-on? In our mind, it’s a backpack that’s lightweight but spacious, gets you through security seamlessly, is safe and secure, and gives you access to all of your most important items quickly. Based on these factors, the VBG VBIGER Laptop Backpack is the perfect fit for best carry-on travel backpack.
This carry-on is lightweight and small enough to fit under your seat or in any overhead compartment. While compact, the VBG VBIGER Laptop Backpack has plenty of space to store your essentials. With compartments such as an invisible wallet pocket, top storage pocket, and camera pocket, you will find a safe space for all of your electronics, folders, and even a fresh change of clothes. Additionally, this backpack is designed with comfort in mind and includes mesh padded shoulder straps and a back panel to relieve shoulder pressure and radiate heat.
Now let’s get down to the defining features that make this pack a perfect airport travel companion. The VBG VBIGER Laptop Backpack folds out like a suitcase, allowing for quick airport scanning so you don’t have to fumble around to fish out all electronics. A USB charging port allows you to navigate the airport or wherever you are traveling while charging your phone or computer. And finally, when you arrive at your destination, you don’t have to worry about weather or time of day with this pack’s hard surface, waterproof nylon fabric, and reflective strip for night visibility.
VBG VBIGER Laptop Backpack Key Features:
- Dimensions: 11”x5.9”x18.5”
- Padded separate room for items such as a camera or laptop
- Fold-out design for quick airport scanning
- Hard surface to protect valuables
- Fits laptops 15.6” or smaller
- USB charging
- Mesh padded shoulder straps and back panel that relieve shoulder pressure and radiate heat, promoting comfort and breath-ability.
- Splash-free nylon fabric that ensures waterproof performance
- Reflective strip for night visibility
Best Lightweight Travel Backpack: Doingbag Backpack
When you’re on a weekend trip or headed to the office, a lightweight backpack that stores your daily necessities is all that you need. The Doingbag Backpack is among the highest rated for its classic look and reliability. At just 1.4lbs, this backpack has all of the organization, and quality design of heavier options.
When it comes to storage, this pack has got you covered. It can store laptops up to 15.6” and includes multiple pockets for organization. Even the straps have buckles and pockets for your sunglasses or other small necessities.
The durability and long-lasting aspect of the Doingbag Backpack is what the majority of customers love most. Not only does it look modern in style, it’s also up-to-date with high-quality, waterproof canvas material. Comfort is also key when it comes to this product, with adjustable straps and a cushioned backside, you will be able to wear this pack all day.
Doingbag Backpack Key Features:
- Laptop pocket for computers up to 15.6”
- Headphone jack
- Built-in USB port for easy charging on the go
- High-quality, waterproof canvas
- Lined with polyester for long-time use
- Adjustable straps and cushioned backside
- Multiple pockets for organization
- 20-35L capacity
- Straps include buckles and pocket for items such as glasses and other small necessities
- Dimensions: 18”x15.2”x2.9”
Who Should Buy a Travel Backpack
You don’t need to be backpacking through Europe to benefit from a travel backpack – although that seems pretty cool. The great thing about travel backpacks are that they are multi functional. All ages, professions, and travelers can benefit from the innovative design and organization that these packs offer.
If you are a traveler and find yourself navigating the confusing walkways of airports often, a travel backpack is in your best interest. Many of these backpacks are made with airport-friendly features to allow you to scan your luggage easily, and store your essentials safely.
Attending a school or university is another reason for purchasing a travel backpack. When you are headed from class to class, you want a backpack that can comfortably rest on your back and has multiple compartments to keep your study material organized. Travel backpacks come in all shapes, sizes, and styles depending on your personal preference and workload.
If you are a professional, you don’t have to be lugging around a briefcase to be taken seriously. Today, travel backpacks are made to look stylish and sleek and are a great way to keep work organized and in a safe place. If you’ll be traveling outdoors, be sure to check out our review of the best waterproof backpacks.
Important Features to Consider
A travel backpack should have a few important features. Here is what to consider when selecting a travel backpack:
- Comfort. Most likely, you are going to be walking around with a travel backpack for fairly long periods of time. Because of this, comfort should be a primary consideration in your selection. Finding a travel backpack with adequate padding and breath-ability is key. Additionally, make sure the straps are adjustable and look for bonus features such as a luggage strap so you can give your back a break while walking through places like the airport.
- Size. Travel backpacks come in all shapes and sizes. Think about what you need your travel backpack for and let that influence the size you get. Are you a student or professional, looking for daily storage? Maybe a smaller, lightweight backpack will do the trick. Are you looking for a carry-on to take on a weekend getaway? Maybe a larger pack with multiple storage pockets is more suitable.
- Organization. The great thing about travel backpacks is that they often come equipped with plenty of organizational options for all of your valuables. Look for a backpack that has a setup that will work best for your needs. If you are traveling often, you might want to keep an eye out for a pack with locking zippers or a secure back pocket that will protect your passport and wallet from potential theft.
- Electronic-compatibility. Now more than ever, we rely on electronics to connect with others, complete tasks, and stay on top of work. Traveling makes electronic devices even more essential to navigate a foreign place. Electronic compatibility is a common feature in many travel backpacks. USB charging ports are extremely helpful, allowing you to charge your devices while you walk. Additional features such as a headphone jack, and laptop pocket are also helpful.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best size backpack for traveling?
The best sized backpack for traveling completely depends on your trip. If you are looking to have a backpack that can fit all of your gear for a weekend-long trip, you will probably want to find one large enough to fit a few changes of clothes, toiletries, and other essentials. There are many travel backpacks that fold out into a suitcase, making it easy to store multiple items in an organized way (and to get through airport security easily).
Are backpacks allowed as carry-on luggage?
Yes! Backpacks are a great carry-on item. As long as your pack is under the maximum dimensions of 9″ x 14″ x 22″, you are all set. Many travel backpacks fit perfectly under the seat in front of you, allowing you to easily access your things during the flight. Otherwise, larger backpacks can also fit nicely in the overhead compartments.
How do you travel with just a backpack?
Traveling with just a backpack is freeing. You don’t have to keep track of multiple items and can perform other tasks as both of your hands are free. While there are all sizes of backpacks to choose from, it may take a little time to decide what essentials you truly need on your trip. It is helpful to make a list of all necessary items and make sure they fit in your pack before you add in other nice-to-have items.
What should I keep in my travel backpack?
What you keep in your travel backpack is entirely up to you. However; when traveling, it is always important to keep valuable items such as your passport, wallet, and keys, in the safest compartment. Many backpacks include a locking or hidden area for these things. Otherwise, a computer, change of clothes, toothbrush, and water bottle are all commonly stored in travel backpacks.
Other Travel Backpacks We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other travel backpacks. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best travel backpacks list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Daypack Travel Backpacks
- Large Travel Backpacks
- Professional Travel Backpacks
- Airport-Friendly Travel Backpacks
Daypack Travel Backpacks
The Hap Tim Laptop Backpack is practically made for your daily commute. With multiple easy-access pockets and shock-absorbing straps and back padding, this pack allows you to take your office with you comfortably.
- Fits laptops up to 15.6″
- Headphone jack
- Shock-absorbing straps and back padding
- Luggage/suitcase trap
- Easy-access pockets
This travel backpack has plenty of room to take your daily essentials with you in rain or shine. The ONSON Travel Laptop Backpack is made of durable nylon material and even comes equipped with a theft-proof combination lock to give you peace of mind that your belongings are safe.
- Spacious main compartment fits 15″ laptop
- Padded airflow back panel w/ mesh fabric
- USB port design
- Theft-proof combination lock
- Durable nylon material
This classic-looking backpack is surprisingly innovative. With features such as a USB charging port, card pocket and glasses hanger, and headphone jack, the UNIWALK Canvas Laptop Backpack helps you be prepared for any situation.
- High quality canvas with water-repellent technology
- USB charging port with removable USB cable
- Card pocket and glasses hanger on the strap
- Laptop compartment fits up to 15.6″ laptop
- Headphone jack
The kopack Lightweight Laptop Backpack makes staying organized easy. This travel backpack is made of tear-resistance and water-resistant Oxford material and contains 17 compartments for ultimate organization.
- Anti-theft, hidden laptop zone
- Detachable USB cable
- Comfortable back support system
- 17 organization slots
- Tear-resistant & water-resistant oxford material
The NeatPack Versatile Sling Travel Backpack is unique from other packs as it has multiple ways to wear it. A durable strap allows you to sling it over either shoulder or wear it across the chest to protect valuables. While it may look small, this NeatPack backpack has all of the essentials for a daypack including a cellphone pocket and multiple storage compartments.
- Multiple storage pockets
- RFID blocking anti-theft pocket for valuables
- Multiple ways to wear – over either shoulder comfortably, or in the front across the chest to protect against theft
- Includes convenient front cell phone pocket with headphone access
- Durable, water-resistant polyester canvas with top-quality zippers and durable strap clip
Large Travel Backpacks
The OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack is great for travel – both outdoors and inside. With a carrying capacity of 50L, this pack has plenty of room for your gear, clothes, and electronics.
- 50L capacity
- Padded laptop compartment for 15.6″
- Waterproof rain cover
- Plenty of small & large compartments
- External attachment points
With 50L capacity, 9 compartments, and more than 20 internal pockets, the Ytonet Large Travel Backpack has a place for everything. This large pack is perfect for air travel and includes features such as Smart Scan lay-flat technology, a luggage strap, and USB charging port.
- 50L capacity
- 9 compartments and more than 20 internal pockets
- Smart Scan lay-flat technology
- Made of water resistant, tear-resistant polyester Oxford fabric
- Luggage strap
- USB charging port & headphone jack
The Maleen Backpack is both large and comfortable. With adjustable and breathable shoulder straps, mesh fabric, and comfortable airflow back design, you’ll barely notice you are wearing a backpack at all.
- Main compartment for MacBook/Laptop and books up to 15.6 inch
- Hidden anti-theft back bag
- Polyester-cotton fabric material
- USB charging port
- Adjustable breathable shoulder straps with mesh fabric and comfortable airflow back design
The well-respected brand Carhartt doesn’t disappoint with their Legacy Deluxe Backpack. You can expect top-quality in both design and material. This backpack’s 1200 Denier Polyester fabric is both water-repellent and abrasion-resistant, and includes a Duravex base to guarantee longevity.
- 17″ laptop compartment
- 1200 Denier Polyester
- Duravex base
- Zippered organization compartment for additional storage
- Padded air-mesh back panel for some welcome ventilation
The T1FE 1SFE Large Business Backpack is spacious and airport-friendly – you may not need to check a bag at all! This backpack includes 4 main compartments and a flat open design making going through security a breeze.
- 4 main compartments – laptop compartment, main daypack, book bag, and gear pocket
- Flat open design: TSA-friendly/ Scan Smart laptop compartment
- USB charging plug & Earphone connection port
- 1200D nylon fabric – double SBS zips – breathable softback
Professional Travel Backpacks
The Lifewit Canvas Backpack is both durable and professional looking. Prominent features include a shockproof laptop compartment, leather trim, and an anti-theft pocket to keep your valuables safe.
- 90% Durable canvas + 10% Genuine Leather
- Shockproof laptop compartment
- Constructed with premium high-density canvas fabric, genuine leather trim, SBS zips, and vintage brass hardware to guarantee vintage appeal and long lasting performance
- Anti-theft pocket
The P.MAI Professional Backpack is fancy – and pricier than other options. However; this stylish backpack is top quality and perfect for the traveling professional. The elegant design is also practical and includes features such as soft, micro-fiber lining and top magnetic closure.
- Two ultra durable zippers and a top magnet closure for maximum security
- soft, micro-fiber lining to keep your most precious items scratch-free
- Laptop compartment
- Luggage strap
- Elegant design
- Designed to stay upright for better balance, weight distribution and posture
This classy backpack is simple and thoughtfully designed. The KROSER Stylish Laptop Bag has plenty of room for your computer and other office essentials – and you don’t have to worry about sagging with this bag’s reinforced edges and steel frame.
- USB port design
- Roomy space for your laptop and tablet
- Open pocket and mesh pocket for smaller items
- Zippered compartment and side pockets all in simple and practical design
- Black, leather handles
- Reinforced edges and steel frame of the main compartment keep the perfect shape of the bag and durable of usage
The ECOSUSI Sling Backpack is lightweight and stylish. Don’t let it’s small size fool you – this bag has 5 inner pockets and 2 outer ones to store all of your valuables.
- Zipper closure
- Lightweight & waterproof nylon material
- 5 inner pockets (including 1 mesh zipper pocket), and 2 outer zipper pockets on the front & back for small daily essentials
- Ergonomic straps ease pressure on the shoulders and are made with breathable material to reduce excess moisture
- Stylish & classy design
The Lily & Drew Travel Daypack is the perfect office companion. It has a unique design that is especially helpful when accessing your daily essentials such as your laptop or notes. Another notable feature is it’s soft polyester interior lining that protects your items from getting scratched.
- 3 external zipper pockets, 2 external side water bottle pockets, 2 internal slip pockets, 1 padded internal sleeve
- Large 8″ x 10″ fish-mouth, doctor-style top opening leads to the huge main compartment
- Integrated trolley strap slides over rolling luggage handle
- Water-resistant polyester exterior
- Soft polyester interior lining
Airport-Friendly Travel Backpacks
The Hynes Eagle Travel Backpack was practically made for airports. 3 packing cubes allow you to easily organize your clothes and other items in a compact way, and there are plenty of storage compartments to keep laptops and other valuables. What is most impressive, however, is that this backpack was designed to fit the maximum size allowed on flights – so you can save money on checking a bag after all!
- 40L capacity
- Includes 3 packing cubes
- Multiple exterior compression buckle straps
- Designed to fit the maximum size allowed on an IATA flight, fits in the overhead compartment as well as the under seat as storage in flight
- 1 front zip pocket with multiple interior slip pockets, second compartment fits up to most 15.6″ laptops
The Mancro Laptop Backpack is safe and reliable for airport travel. Features such as a durable metal shackle with hidden design will protect valuables such as passports and wallets, and waterproof material with a reflective strip will keep you and your things safe in any weather.
- 3 main pockets & 10 inner pockets & 2 mesh side pockets
- Durable metal shackle with hidden design to protect your valuable items from theft
- Waterproof, durable, and Eco-friendly polyester fabric with reflective stripe
- USB charger outside and built in charging cable inside
What do you look for in a carry-on? USB charging? Check. Headset port? Check. Luggage strap? Check. Safety features? Check. The Tzowla Laptop Backpack has it all – and then some.
- Lifetime warranty
- USB & headset port design
- Fixed password lock and durable metal zippers
- High quality water resistant polyester fabric material
- Luggage strap
Customers love the Xsenlin Travel Laptop Backpack. It’s modern design and roomy space make this travel backpack worth considering.
- Separate laptop compartment holds computers up to 15.6″
- Roomy packing compartment for charger, binders, books, clothes,etc.
- USB port design
- Luggage strap
- Hidden, anti-theft pocket
- Made of Water Resistant and Durable Polyester Fabric with metal zippers
The LAPACKER Laptop Backpack is great for airport travel – primarily because of it’s multi-functioning storage compartments. Two side pockets that extend are one of the unique features that make this pack stand out.
- Laptop Compartment: 11″ x 15″
- Two sides pockets can extend
- Adjustable shoulder strap & airflow backing system
- Anti-theft pocket
- Large multi-compartments